Tuesday, November 24, 2020

An error in design

This time I thought that it would be nice to show you an amusing stamp design error that fits nicely in my collection.

Who doesn't love watching basketball? Well I will not lie to you, I don't, I find it to watch sports on TV, unless it is Rugby, but that's just me. But, and there is a but, to this day I remember Israel's win in 1977, in the Final Four.



The European League ("EuroLeague") in basketball (or formerly known as the "European Champions Cup") is an annual basketball competition between the best teams in Europe. The eternal Israeli champion, Maccabi Tel Aviv, participated in the EuroLeague regularly and even won the European Championship five times, for the first time in 1977. I remember when we won, people rushed into the streets, cars were hooting, noise everywhere and way past my bedtime.

Zaire issued a stamp dedicated to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics shows and either accidentally or not, or probably just looking for a nice basketball image, used the image of one of Maccabi Tel Aviv's games in the EuroLeague. Sports fans among you will probably recognize Mickey Berkowitz, the greatest Israeli basketball player of all time.

Remember that in 1984, Google was just a big number (1 plus 100 zeros) and so it was not easy for them to do proper research.

As you probably know, the reason Israel, a Middle Eastern country, plays in the EuroLeague, is because of the cultural boycott of Arab countries over Israel.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding Article Brilliant i realy enjoyed reading it very informative keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Statcounter